25th Anniversary of the Closure of Byberry Celebration, June 19, 2015
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 2:14PM
This month marks the 25th anniversary of the closure of Byberry State Hospital. To celebrate this anniversary, we are working with DBHIDS and the Temple University Collaborative to host a day where we come together to remember our past, reflect upon our present, and consider the direction our mental health system will take in the future. We will be joined by a panel of individuals who had lived experience at Byberry as well as local and national leaders in the mental health field, including our own Michael Brody!
The event will take place at Temple University School of Social Work's Kiva Auditorium (located at Broad Street and Cecil B Moore Avenue) from 9:00 am-12:00 pm on Friday, June 19th, 2015. Light morning refreshments will be served. You can register for this event at this link.
- Panel Discussion: History of Byberry
- Estelle Richman, Former Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare and Chief Operating Officer at the US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Danny Butts, Activist and Former Consumer at Byberry State Hospital
- Mark A. Davis, Activist and Participant in the Closure of Byberry
- Dennis Fisher, Former Byberry Staff Member and Program Director, BHTEN
- Jeffrey Draine, Chair of the School of Social Work, Temple University (Moderator)
- Panel Discussion: Current State of Mental Health
- Michael Brody, President and CEO, MHASP
- Dr. Larry Real, Incoming Chief Medical Officer, DBHIDS
- Jeffrey Draine, PhD, Chair of the School of Social Work Temple University (Moderator)
- Question and Answer Session
- Call to Action and Signing of the Pledge
Officiator: Joseph Rogers, Chief Advocacy Officer, MHASP
Contact Alyssa Schatz, MHASP at 267-507-3816 or email@example.com with questions.
Article originally appeared on MHASP 215-751-1800 (http://www.mhasp.org/).
See website for complete article licensing information.