TRAINING & EDUCATION CENTER (TEC)
Since 1985, the Training & Education Center (TEC) has promoted hope and recovery by providing support, training and education services to family members, friends and support persons of those with mental health disorders. Training and technical assistance to help service providers maximize effectiveness with adults and their families facing mental health challenges are also offered. Examples of our trainings include: engaging families of people with mental health disorders, working effectively with people who have challenging behaviors, verbal de-escalation skills, and assisting organizations with implementation of family inclusion in behavioral health services. TEC advocates for family inclusion as an important aspect of recovery-oriented service delivery and engages in public education and advocacy.
Family members and friends of adults with mental health disorders are often not prepared to face the many struggles that these disorders present. Consultation services by telephone or in our office provide: supportive education, Information, problem solving, referrals to resources, coping strategies, and assistance negotiating the behavioral health system. No fee if you or your love one's live in Philadelphia. Otherwise fees apply.
EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT GROUPS FOR FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS
Our educational support groups are for family and friends and have no fee.
- Monthly group for family members & friends of adults with any mental health condition: Third Thursday each month from 10 AM until noon, at our office at 1211 Chestnut Street, 11th floor, Philadelphia.
Evening groups are held at Belmont Behavoral Hospital, 4200 Monument Rd. Philadelphia. Free parking available.
- Monthly evening group for family and friends of persons with hoarding behaviors. Frist Tuesday of the month from 7AM to 9PM
- Monthly evening support group for graduates of the Getting Off the Emotional Roller caster Workshop. Second Tuesday of the month from 7AM to 9AM
- Monthly evening group for adult sons, daughters & siblings of people with any mental health condition. Third Tuesday of the month from 7AM to 9PM
- Monthly group for family members & friends of people with personality disorder. Fourth Tuesday of the month 7AM to 9PM
GETTING OFF THE EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER: FAMILY SKILL-BUILDING WORKSHOP
This 10-week workshop is held in the spring and fall of each year for family members, and friends of persons with Borderline Personality Disorders, Major Depression, and/or Bipolar Disorder. It offers both information about each disorder, as well as skill building to improve communication and relationships, helping class members get off, what can feel like, an “emotional roller coaster.” These skills include: self- care, emotional regulation, validation, limit setting, and suicide/crisis management for violence, self-injury and suicidal behaviors. The workshop is co-facilitated by a therapist and a person in recovery from one of the disorders with the assistance of a family member who is a workshop graduate and mentors participants. Fees may apply for non-Philadelphia residents.
FOR PROFESSIONALS AND COMMUNITY GROUPS
TEC provides various in-service trainings, events, and technical assistance to organizations at federal, state and local levels. We also serve as guest lecturers for academic institutions and other community organizations.
For more information, to register for a group, or schedule a consultation, please contact Mary Catherine Lowery at 267-507-3865 or You can also visit us at www.mhasp.org/about-tec and a www.frnfamilies.org