Advocacy is a fundamental part of the mission of the Mental Health Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania and among its greatest strengths. The principal mission of the Advocacy Division is to influence policies and systems that touch of the lives of people with mental health conditions and their families. Systems advocacy is executed through several strategies, including community and grassroots organizing and engagement, policy analysis and writing, legislative advocacy and education, and leadership development.
The Advocacy Division also includes a team of advocates who directly educate and assist individuals with service delivery complaints and grievances and in navigating benefits systems; protect consumer rights in inpatient and outpatient settings; make linkages to community resources; teach/guide mental health consumers to educate their peer groups and the public about mental health conditions; help consumers enroll in affordable insurance options; and help consumers fully engage in democratic processes. Our direct service advocates use their cultural and linguistic competence and knowledge of life-stage-appropriate care to support individuals and families to self-manage their own wellness.
The state budget has a significant impact on MHASP and the services we are able to (or unable to) provide.
More information can be found at this link or by contacting Francisco Rivera at email@example.com.
Thank you especially to the programs who are already participating in this important day. We have great turnout already from a number of our programs and it does not go unnoticed!
Our programs include the following:
Welcome to the TAKE 5 Campaign
Do you have five minutes to spare? Join Take Five, the community of change agents who are taking five minutes, once a week, to make the world better for people with mental health conditions.
Sign up to receive one email per week, asking you to take five minutes to engage in some type of advocacy activity, like sending an email, signing a petition, or calling a legislator. We’ll give you everything you need to make it happen. You should receive a message every Monday afternoon, and we promise it will be only one message per week! More...
Policy and Systems Advocacy
- Participation on local, regional, state and national coalitions, boards, and taskforces
- Grassroots and community organizing
- Legislative education and advocacy
- Leadership development and advocacy trainings
- Policy and systems research and analysis
- Community education and outreach
Successful Aging Taskforce
- Trains older adults about the difference between normal aging and late life depression
- Represents the rights and interests of older adults on various boards and taskforces
- Provides trainings for organizations, groups, and individuals regarding aging and mental health
INDIVIDUAL ADVOCACY (ACCESS TO AND NAVIGATION OF SERVICES)
- Assistance acquiring benefits
- Assistance with grievance and appeal process
- Referrals to community resources
- Legal referral services
- Training and technical assistance
- Internal and inter-agency benefits assistance
Information and Referral
- Referrals and linkages to community resources
Institutional and Patient Advocacy located at Norristown State Hospital
- Protection of the rights of Norristown State Hospital patients
- Self-advocacy training for patients
- Support transition to community from hospitalization
- Supports individuals during Civil Commitment Court process at Einstein and Belmont
- Explains the 302 process to consumers and families
- Ensures consumer rights during hearings
- Supports individuals in Einstein/Belmont inpatient units
- Runs groups
- Provides on-site advocacy
- Provides transitional supports in the community
- Facilitates Voices of Recovery Group
- Continues to be available to consumers post-inpatient treatment
OTHER PROGRAMS IN ADVOCACY
Beating the Blues
- Offers online intervention for people with mild to moderate anxiety
- Increases skills to cope with anxiety
- Provides support to individuals enrolled in program
- Links participants to other resources
- Develops self-help groups for people with mild to moderate anxiety
- Training program for Certified Peer Specialists
- Enhances office and computer skills
History of Mental Health Recovery Movement